Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gimme a HELL YEAH!

Alright, so I took a bit of a hiatus on a new blog. Kill me.

If you were reading, which I doubt anyone really was, you'd know I just started classes at the local community college, American River. It's not bad. The courses aren't tough (but they aren't simple), the teachers are lax enough, and the material is easily absorbed... well, almost.

At the beginning of the year, I signed up for an online course. Gerontology 304 - the study of aging in society. Blah, blah, blah. Seems like an easy course, and it could've very well been, had my funds from FAFSA not come in well over two weeks into the course. On top of that particular teacher not accepting late work? That put the Flipper in a bad spot. Those are always avoided when possible; in this case, I got a 'W' (which stands for late Withdrawal) and if I get enough of those then my schooling may become halted. Can't have that.

Math100 (Algebra 1) is simpleton shit. I mean, come on, this will be the fourth time I've taken an algebra one oriented course... and the fourth time I'll have passed it with an A. I suppose this is better than the alternative, however, which would've been to get a better grade on the placement test and taken a rougher intermediate course (Algebra 2) which would've only brought unnecessary strain on my head and not given me any better of a roll into this major I've selected.

For those not paying attention, said major is Journalism and Mass Media. I've only started to graze the cusp of the subject with an introductory course, Journalism 300, with a really awesome and down-to-Earth teacher in Mr. Swanson. He also teaches a lot of the other journalism courses, so I'm hoping to build a good report with him as well as have an easier time with the already easy classes.

To be honest, my start in the Journalism 300 course was a bit rocky. I was a bit of a flake in the beginning and had a hard time retaining the superfluous information from the Sacramento Bee that he's given us News Quizzes on. This, however, is through no fault of the teacher - it's merely my laziness and lack of motivation in the starting weeks of college. That has changed. Drastically.

English Writing 300 is also a breeze, but I'd have to say that it wouldn't be so easy for the average Joe. As a matter of fact, looking at the bare bones and brass tacks, having to write 7 4-page essays, 1 10-page essay, read a book of prose, and other rigorous in-class activities, the class asks for quite a bit. Being a writer and comic-hopeful, though, helps make that trip a whole hell of a lot easier.

SO, school-jargon aside, I'm doing alright. I'll try to make a greater effort at writing blogs and expressing my opinion to the world wide web for no purpose other then to vent, shoot out ideas, and better incorporate my opinion. Hope to see you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment